Game Week 4

Welcome to another warm weekend of cricket for Old Sharlston.
The 1st team made the short trip down the road to local rivals Streethouse. Sharlston won the toss and decided to bat on a baking hot day at Whinney Lane. Tom Craig and Dale McMullan opened the batting, but Tom soon departed in the first over by guiding a delivery from Streethouse’s Scott Bland to gully and Sharlston were 0-1. Some loose bowling allowed Dale to take the attack to Streethouse, bludgeoning 13 off 1 over. Ste Roberts came in at number 3 and found the gaps and the boundary. Runs were coming quickly but then Dale went for a big drive off Kevin Marshall and the left arm bowler had Dale caught behind for 13. Sharlston 28-2. Jack Rogers was the next man in and again both he and Ste found the boundaries from some wayward bowling and the score was ticking over quickly. Jack then went for one drive too many and was caught at mid-off by Ex Sharlston player Jonny Hughes off the bowling by Marshall for 12. Sharlston 51-3 and not even 10 overs had been bowled. Jason Ball making his first outing of the season came in at number 5. He put 10 n with Ste before Ste mistimed a drive and looped the ball to cover of Bland and Sharlston were 61-4 after 11 overs. Tilly Perera joined Jason and they took there time at the crease. Bland got Tilly caught at point by another Ex Sharlston player Geddis. Sharlston 76-5. Daniel Bullock came in at number 7 and straight away played with freedom that he showed last week. He and Jason were playing nicely taking ones and twos and finding the boundary. Danny picked up on a short ball and hit it over the pavilion for 6 and hitting a car which was unlucky as it was Gordy Long’s car that he hit. Jason also hit a six over long on before he had to depart with cramp as Streethouse would not allow him a runner. The pair had put on 90 and Byron Dean came to the crease. They put on 20 before Danny did not get hold of one and was caught on the long-on boundary for a well made 33. Sharlston 186-6. Simon Kemp was next man in, but he came and went for 2 194-7. Luke Reeves walked out to bat and showed his intention by planting a big six over long on. He and Byron were taking the attack to the bowlers before Luke was bowled by Marshall who had come back on to bowl from the top end for 14. Sharlston 235-8 and Robert Simpson came out to bat. Byron added 6 before a miscommunication and a bad call and Byron was run out. Jason came out for the last ball and Robert called for a run and then ran himself out. Sharlston were all out for 241. Jason not out for 73.

With a decent score on the board, Sharlston needed to get wickets. Sharlston’s opening bowlers Robert Simpson and Luke Reeves started to leak boundaries as Jonny Hughes jumped into anything short or full. Robert did get a wicket. Enticing Gary Rhodes, the other Streethouse opener to slice one to mid off and Jack Rogers took a good catch. After this, all the Sharlston bowlers toiled as Jonny Hughes and Streethouse captain Brent Law took some risks and the runs flowed. There was a chance off the bowling of Tilly Perera but a mix up between fielders caused the chance to be missed. Jonny got to about 65 when he was also forced to retire with cramp. In came Mark Robinson who tried to positive from the outset. He had raced to 29 when Dale McMullan came back into the attack and got him first ball caught in the gully by Luke Reeves. The wicket was never in doubt as Dale bags him every time. Jonny Hughes came back to the crease and he knocked the singles around. Brent carried on until on 96 he swung hard at Dale and the ball took the outside edge and went to Jason at Slip who juggles it one handed and caught it at the 3rd attempt. Streethouse were 220-3 and in 5 overs time, two 5 ball wides from Ste Roberts ended the contest. Sharlston looking dejected as the bowling and fielding did not match the previous week’s efforts or match the tremendous batting in the first half. The first team only collecting 3 batting bonus points.

The 2nd teams first home game under Ant Maskill was against Darton and he lost the toss and was put into bat. Colin Scattergood opened this week with Dave Taylor in the absence of Danny Rowett. Darton got an early wicket as Vikram Dhankhar bowled Dave for 8 and Sharlston were 12-1. In came the evergreen Mark Reeves and if you didn’t know he has always been underrated as a batsman. With a combined average of ……… the two Sharlston batsmen set to work against the Darton bowlers. Some good walking between the wickets and boundaries and the score rattled along to 90 when Colin mistimed his shot and was caught for a well made 37. Tom Murray came in at number 4 and played his part in a partnership of 39 even though his contribution was only 8. Mark went to his 50 in this time and things again were going well until Tom missed a straight one and he too was bowled. Sharlston 129-3. Captain Ant came to the crease and decided attack was the best strategy and bludgeoned 25 off just 15 balls until he played one shot too many and was caught in the deep. Sharlston 166-4. Mark was still going strong. Well every part of him except his knees of course. Mark hit a six and with overs running out and a 100 beckoning he too was caught playing his shots for a well made 82 off 97 balls. Sharlston 181-5. Rich Broadbent and Tom Maskill added 15 before Tom was bowled for 4 and Sharlston’s innings closed on 198-6. Rich Broadbent 18 not out and Stu Taylor 1 not out.
Again, just like the first team runs flowed from the opposition bats from wayward Sharlston bowling with this score rattling along at 5 an over. Tom Maskill managed to get one of the Darton openers to play a shot in the air and this was snaffled by Stu Taylor. A change of bowling which saw Tom Murray introduced and Stu Taylor leaked runs to start with but was rewarded as Stu bowled the other Darton opener. Tom Murray then bowled the other set batsmen for 36 and then another wicket fell quickly as Luke Rogers ran, picked up the ball one-handed and threw all in one motion and run the new batsman out. Tom Murray then bowled the next batsmen for a duck. Vikram Dhankhar was the only batsmen now that was able to still score. Mark Reeves was introduced, and he got 2 quick wickets bowling both batsmen with his wily off-spin. Ant Maskill came into the attack and picked up a wicket, having the batsman caught by son Tom. Stu Taylor then wrapped up the innings with the last 2 wickets, and LBW and a catch that was taken by Jon Railton. Sharlston in complete control and bowling Darton out for 143 in 36.1 overs. Sharlston again taking maximum points.

A mixed bag for Sharlston this week but still encouraging signs for the club. Onto the next round of games and the 1st team come back to HQ to play Ackworth while the 2nd team travels to Rothwell.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.